Sunday, May 23, 2010

Black n White Comparison

I posted the photo (on the left) in the comments of Steve Huff's blog after Steve had requested people send in photos that were converted to black n white using Nik's Silver Effex Pro...

One guy commented that he thought it looked "dismal" and wanted to see what the conversion would have looked like before the HDR processing had taken place...without the "illustration look" as he put it...

What do you think?

I wrote back saying that I thought this photo was actually the perfect candidate for HDR with the extreme dynamic range in the photo ranging from the bright sky to the dark side streets...If you expose for the street, the sky is blown out (as shown below), but if you expose for the sky, the action at street level is all blacked out...therefore, expose for both, and combine...your typical HDR...

6 comments:

Marianne said...

"One guy" is nuts - the photo on the left is perfect! Great job!

Picture Zealot said...

I like the one on the left except for the middle floors of the front of the building being too dark and the sky is overly dramatic. Otherwise you'd have a photo like on the right which isn't at all how our eyes see the scene.
Jeff

Scotty Graham said...

yes, certainly agree with the dark patch in the front of the building...tried to fix that, but the "fix" looked worse, so I left it as is....oh well.

Hot Flash Photography said...

"Dismal" is not exactly what I would call this shot, Scotty. I love the processing and the use of Silver Efex Pro makes this shot stand out. There are, however, a lot of people who go ballistic the moment they see HDR no matter how well done it is. So, take heart, my friend. It's not your shot,it's their minds. ;-).

Dagrun said...

The difference is striking and really interesting. Thank you for showing us the difference.

sumvision cyclone said...

Yas, I know This is world's first commercial building. It is first building have lift. I like this building. and Photography.