Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lets Go Diving

It has been an amazing couple of days for me. A couple of days ago, I wrote a guest article for Steve Huff's blog about switching from my Nikon to the Leica M9. It has generated over 100 responses on his blog debating the Leica M9, DSLR cameras, and most of all, HDR photography. As you know, I am a big fan of HDR, and use it quite often. The reaction on his site about a couple of HDR photos I posted ranged from really negative to really positive. I find the psychology of it all very interesting. Why does HDR stir so much emotion with photographers and spark such heated debates? I am sure Ansel Adams went through the same thing with his darkroom techniques....photographers at the time said he was over the top with his dodging and burning, yet he is perhaps one of the most famous photographers of our time, and is known for his dark room techniques whether they are over the top or not.

Just yesterday, I received an email from my Dad that I was mentioned on the famous blog, Instapundit. (I was also told via a comment on my last photo I posted). I had a HUGE spike of hits to this blog, so thanks very much, Instapundit. My Dad is a huge fan of yours and checks your blog daily....he also just bought the new Lumix camera on your recommendation. I hear you are a fan of underwater photography, so I devote these two photos to you....cheers!


7 comments:

Country Girl said...

Beautiful work, as ever. Love everything on this page.

Carolyn Ford said...

Gorgeous, and by the way...I really like your HDR!

Martina Cardemyr said...

WOW...!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Since I've been following your photo blog, I've always thought you were a genius with a camera...I'm not a techie, just a wannabe with my Canon Rebel. I just appreciate these phenomenal photos!! I don't comment much but I always visit!!! Congratulations of some well deserved "fame"...

Bob Towery said...

Holy cow Scotty, that second shot is just amazing. That must have really been a thrill to be in the water with him. Great work!

Scotty Graham said...

Thanks!! Swimming with Mantas is an experience you will never forget. On this day, there were 15 of them. We had to anchor ourselves to the reef as the current was raging. The Mantas would come within inches of you as they swam in the current to feed. This one is about 12 feet from wing tip to wing tip...just an incredible experience!!

Cindry said...

You're a good photographer and you're also brave.
Some love hdr, some not. I think today the possibilities with cameras are so many.It's a magic moment for the fantasy.I love to experiment and I also appreciate the classical techniques.In any case I recognize a good picture.